Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oodles of Zucchini...

On a friend’s blog the other day, I saw a recipe using zucchini noodles. This instantly intrigued me more so than usual for some reason. I have heard and even eaten zucchini noodles before but never made them. For some reason this time it all came together and I gave it a whirl.

I wasn’t sure what to make for dinner that night as I came across the idea to make these veggie noodles, so it was perfect timing. Not to mention I had a spare zucchini in the fridge that was beckoning to be used. Additionally, we received a julienne peeler back when we got married and I think it was untouched until this idea came along.

What’s more? Art likes to be as gluten-free as possible, and we were out of gluten free pasta! What a series of extremely fortunate events.

There is not much to it at all, as long as you have a julienne peeler. Shred the zucchini into noodles down to the seeds and let them sit in a bowl for a bit after throwing some salt on them to draw out moisture.

Meanwhile, I had the middle, seeded part of the zucchini remaining, so I decided to chop it and begin sautéing that while I let the noodles sit. (Side note: probably the best cooking method for zucchini is to sauté. I used to bake it a lot but learned it keeps more nutrients when it’s sautéed and adding olive oil allows for more absorption of fat-soluble nutrients.)

After getting the chopped zucchini cooked, I added the noodles, let them cook for a minute or two (they don’t need much) and added some sauce to bring everything together.

That’s it!


A plate full of veggies – my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment