Friday, September 7, 2012

401 Diner...

I love a good diner… emphasis on good. Eclectic menu, breakfast all day, open all day, and I’ve had some fantastic desserts at this type of American dining staple. What makes a diner even better? When they emphasize using local and organic ingredients…

Enter: 401 Diner in Conshohocken.

I thoroughly enjoy a good, big breakfast, so I anticipated the chance to visit 401 soon after I caught wind of the establishment’s habit of using local ingredients of good quality.

Art and I visited recently to find a modern, clean cut restaurant with 360 degree glass to view the passersby and buzz of Main Street. We enjoyed each part of the experience, from décor, to service, to edibles.

The menu is quite classic for a diner breakfast, and quite welcome in that regard. Some interesting items include tofu veggie scrambles and passionfruit juice while some local offerings include Taylor pork roll and the “Cunshy” omelet loaded with Kennett Square ‘shrooms. Art settled with a classic, healthy helping of eggs (their two Lancaster free range eggs look like four you’d get anywhere else!), home fries, and chocolate milk. Does it get better?

One yolk poached and pierced for perfect "ooze" factor
I opted for my all-time favorite breakfast when out to eat: Eggs Benedict. However, I requested it my way, subbing Taylor pork roll for the quintessential Canadian bacon. Most main breakfast dishes, including ours that day, also boast local Kennebec home fries on the side. I absolutely love piercing a poached egg and waiting for the moment of truth to see whether the golden yolk begins to flow. My eggs benny was super tasty and I’m happy to report the eggs were poached to perfection.

Everything was fantastic and we’ll make sure to visit again soon! Thanks 401, not only for being a classic diner but also caring about what your patrons eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment