Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Welcome home... 2000 miles away...

The word "home" holds a different meaning for everyone. For me it evokes feelings of comfort, love, good company, rest… We also commonly refer to a “home away from home” as a secondary place that may also promote the same things. Well, I have found my “home away from home,” and this place has no insecurities with identifying itself as such. It’s not a relative’s or old friend’s house, it’s my all-time favorite eating establishment. What else would you expect?

I enjoy my job and the traveling opportunities it offers. While some of my trips are only every other year, I endure the 4.5 hour flight to Phoenix twice a year. This has allowed me the chance to try a slew of restaurants and return to my favorites. Luckily, Tarbell’s was one of the first places I discovered when researching Phoenix dining, and I’ve been there at least once every trip since then.

Exec chef and owner, Mark Tarbell, was the only guest chef to defeat an iron chef in season five of Iron Chef America. Needless to say, he knows his stuff – and it’s oh-so obvious at his restaurant.

Tarbell’s holds a top spot on any “best of” list when it comes to a night out in Phoenix. Even though it’s a long flight and I’m always there for business, this place sure does make it all worth while.

My most recent visit was a three-course meal. While I typically avoid meat if it’s my choice, I couldn’t resist the grilled organic peaches for my first course.

Peaches with Roquefort, caramelized onion, bacon, and balsamic
My entrée was a delightful plate of veggies. The actual name of the dish on the menu is “The Earth’s Best – organically grown vegetables prepared with love.” That’s about as perfect of a description as I can think. This had a slice of acorn squash, grilled white beans, tomatoes, roasted cauliflower, golden beet chips, pumpkin seeds, and a gala apple reduction.

The Veggie Plate
Finally, I was feeling quite good after the first two course, not overly stuffed in the slightest. I was ready for dessert and after asking the waiter’s recommendation, I invited some chocolate mousse to my table.

"The" Chocolate Mousse
This was the perfect dessert, although it did put me over the edge in terms of gluttony, and I couldn’t finish it. Everything, from food to service to atmosphere to a bottle of local beer, was superb.

I return to Phoenix next week, and I will be at Tarbell’s the first night I’m in town… and the next… and the next.


Is it a coincidence these words are printed on the front door? Some may call it a night out, a birthday meal, or a means to stay alive. I call it my home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment