Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quinoa Crockpot Casserole…

Oppressive heat and humidity during these summer months make me want to do ALAP (as little as possible) when it comes to standing around a hot stove. As a result of the recent blistering drought conditions in the northeast, I’ve been tapping into the most energy-efficient and convenient cooking method available to mankind – the crockpot. I have used a crockpot only a handful of times since owning one, but I am quickly changing that with some easy recipes. As previously stated, the crockpot is extremely energy efficient and emits very little heat when cooking so it is a great option for hot summer days when trying to keep indoor temp down.

I began searching online for a recipe that would cook while I was out that morning and would travel well for about an hour. I found a scrumptious recipe using quinoa, my favorite seed, and a bunch of veggies that sounded great. I adapted it a few different ways and swapped a few things according to my own preferences and this is what I came up with:

Quinoa Veggie Casserole

   2 C of rinsed quinoa
   4 C veggie broth
   1 C diced carrots
   1 C diced potato
   1 C diced butternut squash
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/3 C chopped almonds
1/2 C crumbled feta
   1 T chopped garlic
   1 T olive oil
1-2 chopped shallots  
   1 t sea salt
   1 t cinnamon



Add rinsed quinoa to crockpot, add oil and mix to coat
Add veggie broth
Add salt and cinnamon
Add garlic and shallot
Stir in almonds, potatoes, and carrots

Cover and cook on low for 2 hours


Check after 2 hours. Liquid should be mostly absorbed and you should be able to fluff quinoa with a fork.

Add cranberries, continue to cook.

Check after an additional 2 hours. If potatoes and carrots are soft, continue with the next step. Otherwise, cook until soft.

Fluff quinoa and add feta.

Replace lid and cook for another 15-20 minutes.

Stir before serving.


The crockpot employs an excellent cooking method that produces little heat and a lot of food at once. This dish in particular is has some unique flavor combinations and gave me a Moroccan/Persian cuisine vibe. It's another great gluten-free offering and simply remove the feta to make it vegan. This dish will please a variety of diets and serve a large crowd. I absolutely love it and I’ll be making it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment